Maezumi Roshi was Bill's principal teacher, or one of Bill's two
principal teachers.

Google [Maezumi kensho].   Now click on 'books' at the left, to get a
set of books associated with Maezumi Roshi in which 'kensho' is
mentioned. Click on a book and you should be taken to one page where
'kensho' is mentioned.

Do the same with 'satori' instead of 'kensho'.

--ED



--- In [email protected], siska_cen@... wrote:
>
Hi Bill,

The literal meaning of kensho is not 'first glimpse'. When translated as
first glimpse, does it mean that one can only experience kensho once?

Now trouble in understanding these two terms is that I've never attended
any zen meditation retreat before. So I've never had any meditative
experience where afterwards a certain teacher advise me that that is
kensho. Whatever I think I know about kensho is only based on other
people's descriptions. And these descriptions seem to be similar to an
experience referred to as nyana/nana (insight) in Theravada meditation
retreat.

Ed might have good links to describe what nyana/nana is for your
comparison ;-)

When I'm fortunate enough to attend zen retreat and experience kensho,
I'll let you know whether these two are the same :-)

Siska




Siska,

The term 'kensho' is Japanese term and is used in Japanese Zen Buddism.
It was used by teachers from both the Renzai and Soto schools in the
zendo where I received instruction.

I was told that 'kensho' means 'first glimpse'. That might not be the
actual Japanese:English translations, but that's what I was told. It
refers to an event in which a student's (or anyone else) initially gains
awareness of Buddha Nature. It implies an awareness that is of short
duration and fades quickly over time.

This term can be compared with 'satori' which I was told means 'great
enlightenment'. 'Satori' is an event that marks an awareness of Buddha
Nature is very deep and long-lasting.

This is my understanding of these two terms.

...Bill!



Reply via email to