Beverley,

'Sentient' is of course a general English word, not a Buddhist-specific
word, so you'd only have to look it up in a dictionary.  Merriam-Webster
Online defines 'sentient as:

1: responsive to or conscious of sense impressions <sentient beings> 
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sentient
<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sentient>

You might read some Buddhist texts that say something alike 'all
sentient beings have Buddha Nature'.  Buddha Nature is just another term
for awareness, and the only way we humans have of being aware is through
sensual experience.  But it is an awareness BEFORE our discriminating
mind starts post-processing these pure sensory experiences by filtering,
augmenting, categorizing, judging and (most critically) separting them
into subject/object.  Like: 'I see the flower, but the flower is not me
- I am separate from the flower.  I am 'in here' and it is 'out there'.

Instead of just referring to awareness as Buddha Nature, our
discriminating mind has even split our awareness up into 5 categories:
touch, sight, hearing, smell and taste.

Please note (especially all you Theravada afficionadoes out there) that
'sentient' does NOT mean 'having cognitive ability'.  The awareness of
Buddha Nature can only be realized through sentient abilities, not
cognitive abilities.

IMO - Bill!


--- In [email protected], Beverley Huish <beverley.huish@...>
wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I keep coming across references to 'sentient beings'.  How does
Buddhism define
> a sentient being?
>
> :-)
>
> Beverley.
>


Reply via email to