JMJM, Just THIS! is static. It never changes. It's always Just THIS!
Just as this moment is the only moment that exists, and that has ever existed and that ever will exist. ...Bill! --- In [email protected], Jue Miao Jing Ming - 覺å¦ç²¾æ <chan.jmjm@...> wrote: > > Hi Mike and Bill, > > Thank to the last two posts from Mike, I have an opportunity now to > share about the essence of Sitting Chan. > > * Another perspective that we share is that "our body" is an > illusion. Because our body is not "ours", our body is a > collection of sixty billion cells (not sure of the right number of > zeros). Each of these cells is a sentient being contributing to > our well being. Our wisdom is a collection of all their wisdom. > When we sit, we are sitting for them, ferry each cell to Buddha > land. Be grateful to each of them. We (the collective of all > cell) are well only if every cell is well. Therefore, sitting is > not to benefit ourselves, but benefit every sentient being inside > and outside of us. Therefore, Enlightenment is not just a mental > state. It need to be a total integration of our physical body as > well. Buddhist call this crossing the three EONs of body, mind > and spirit. > * Chi is just an ancient Chinese label for energy. It is not > important what it is called. Nor we need to understand or > comprehend it. Because chi, or our life force, is the same life > force that manifest everything else in the universe, the pebbles, > the flowers, the stars and the sun. It is through this chi, we > are connected. Without this chi, the universe is not alive. > * What Bill's simplistic term of "just this" is the essence of zen, > which is not wrong, but IMO it is incomplete. Just this is not > static. Like everything else, it is dynamic. It is alive. It is > true only in every moment. Like the stars, each relationship is a > steady state maintained by energy. Without these life force, > there is no relationship. IMO, without chi, just this is only a > transient mental state and can not be maintained. The only way we > can be in sync with the wisdom of every moment, is by keeping in > pace with the rhythm of the life force. This is just simple physics. > * Enlightenment is just a synchronization with the laws of the > universe in real time in a dynamic way. > > This is for your reference. Thank you for your time, > JM > > Learn to de-stress, energize and awaken > http://www.chan-meditation.com > Learn to live with Health, Happiness and Harmony > http://www.chanliving.org > Learn to reach enlightenment > http://www.heartchan.org > To save the world > http://www.universal-oneness.org > > > > On 6/2/2011 3:16 PM, mike brown wrote: > > Hi JM, Bill! and ED, > > > > Yes, I tend to agree with you here. We instinctively know when a > > certain pain is telling us, "Stop what you're doing... NOW!" in order > > to protect us. But the 'pain' from sitting with the spine erect, > > cross-legged on a cushion is not the same thing at all and is merely > > discomfort (often labelled as 'pain' in order to make us feel ok for > > giving in to it). Bill! often talks about the illusionary aspect of > > phenomena - well what a perfect opportunity to put that to the test > > and see pain (NOT the disabling kind) as only a mental construct and > > sit thru it (the pain is not 'me' or 'mine' and is impermanent). Far > > from being cognitive, vipassana meditation 'uses' the body like a > > laboratory to really experience what is ultimate reality and what is > > illusionary. How many of us are satisfied with our zazen and then the > > whole house of cards comes crashing down with something simple like > > bad a toothache? I guess the key word is 'equanimity', but IMO, one > > can only realise > > it by going thru experience (trials and tribulations) and not thru > > merely reasoning about it. > > > > I don't know a great deal about chi, but given its long time use in > > Oriental medicine, it must have some merit. What I've found recently, > > is that my sitting time has lengthened considerably due to the > > insights gained from observing what is happening to the body/mind > > during the meditation session. Along with these insights, there does > > seem to be both a mental and physical 'unblocking' of sorts, with a > > feeling of energy being able to flow more easily. What this 'energy' > > is, and what is being 'unblocked' - I have no idea. > > > > Mike > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > *From:* Jue Miao Jing Ming - 覺å¦ç²¾æ <chan.jmjm@...> > > *To:* [email protected] > > *Sent:* Friday, 3 June 2011, 2:49 > > *Subject:* Re: [Zen] Zen, zen and Theravada Buddhism > > > > Hi Bill and Mike, > > > > In our school, an effective sitting is the foundation to everything. > > That's sort of the only thing we are somewhat adamant about. If I may > > share with you some of the witnesses that I have from a few hundred > > cases in California. > > > > When we have pain, (not the bone fracture kind of pain, just the > > tendon, muscle kind), meanings our inner chi is trying to find new > > passages. When we focus and be one with it, the pain will diminish in > > time, because when we focus on it, instead of resisting it, we are > > applying our chi to it. Sort of acupuncture there with our mind > > instead of a needle. I call that "soft-acupuncture". :-) > > > > We have many people began their practice with us, initially with lower > > back pain, sciatica, pain from spinal surgery, etc. All healed after > > a few months of sitting. Chi is our innate life force that energize > > itself wherever it was blocked. > > > > Check this one out, please http://www.chanliving.org/pain.html > > > > Since a few years ago, Bill has regarded Chi based sitting as illusory > > by his mind. If you could open your heart and welcomes all advice > > regardless of your judgmental mind, your pain probably already > > subsided by now. > > > > I love you, Bill, you know. I hope you can open up your heart and > > stop walk a certain path. Each path, though is not perfect, has its > > own merit. > > > > :-) > > Learn to de-stress, energize and awaken > > http://www.chan-meditation.com > > Learn to live with Health, Happiness and Harmony > > http://www.chanliving.org > > Learn to reach enlightenment > > http://www.heartchan.org > > To save the world > > http://www.universal-oneness.org > > > > > > On 6/1/2011 11:00 PM, Bill! wrote: > >> Mike, > >> > >> You can tough it out if you want. I'll wave the white flag. > >> > >> IMO physical pain is your body telling you that something is wrong. I > >> try to listen to my body when it speaks. > >> > >> My approach to this is NOT what I was taught in my Japanese Zen > >> Buddhist training. They also thought you ought to tough it out. I did > >> that then, HOO-AH!, but I'm over that now. > >> > >> ...Bill! > >> > >> --- In [email protected] > >> <mailto:Zen_Forum%40yahoogroups.com>, mike brown <uerusuboyo@> > >> <mailto:uerusuboyo@> wrote: > >> > > >> > Bill!, > >> > >I never try to 'sit through' pain in my legs or back... Usually > >> pain in the legs or back is do to bad sitting posture... > >> > > >> > I disagree. Usually pain in the legs, hips, back, shoulders etc. is > >> merely another word for 'discomfort' induced by sitting in one > >> position and not brought on by anything serious. You could have the > >> suppleness of a yogi or ballerina and still experience 'pain' from > >> sitting for an hour - in contrast to the very real pain caused by > >> something more serious. Vipassana meditation encourages you to face > >> that discomfort and gain insight into the impermanence of that > >> pain/discomfort and how our body/mind reactes to it (usually > >> aversion). Or you could just wave a white flag to it ; ) à Hooah! > >> > > >> > Mike > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > ________________________________ > >> > From: Bill! <BillSmart@> <mailto:BillSmart@> > >> > To: [email protected] <mailto:Zen_Forum%40yahoogroups.com> > >> > Sent: Thursday, 2 June 2011, 9:48 > >> > Subject: Re: [Zen] Zen, zen and Theravada Buddhism > >> > > >> > > >> > à > >> > Mike, > >> > > >> > Nice try but my attachment to my zafu is via my butt and not my > >> discriminating mind. I don't contemplate the various attributes of my > >> zafu while sitting. Like, 'What is it that keeps me off the floor?'. > >> > > >> > In sesshins (Japanese Zen Buddhist meditation retreats)I have sat > >> as long as 40 mins periods, and even up to 60 mins occasionally when the > >> > time-keeper goes to sleep. > >> > > >> > I never try to 'sit through' pain in my legs or back. I will make > >> some adjustments to try to alleviate the pain and continue sitting, > >> but if that fails I'll just get up, walk around a little and then > >> return to sitting. Usually pain in the legs or back is do to bad > >> sitting posture so I make sure my posture is correct when I return to > >> sitting. > >> > > >> > ...Bill! > >> > > >> > ...Bill! > >> > > >> > --- In [email protected] > >> <mailto:Zen_Forum%40yahoogroups.com>, mike brown <uerusuboyo@> wrote: > >> > > > >> > > Bill!, > >> > > > >> > > So it's safe to say you have no attacments to where or how you > >> sit, other than what is comfortable at that particular time? Same > >> with the jhanas. They take you deeper into your meditation and help > >> to make the session last longer (much like discovering a zafu that > >> fits your bum correctly ;) But they are not essential. There are > >> warnings aplenty in the literature I've read against becoming > >> attached to them just like anything else (at the risk of becoming a > >> 'bliss-bunny'). > >> > > > >> > > > >> > > I usually time my sittings between 40-60 mins depending on how > >> busy I am. If I have time I'll do this twice a day, but at least once > >> in the evening. I usually sit cross-legged, but will sometimes sit > >> Burmese style. If I'm feeling that the session is going well (in a > >> vipassana sense), but the pain is becoming too distracting, then I'll > >> stay mindful of my movements, but change to a more comfortable > >> position. However, the 40-60 min session is usually done with no > >> movement or changing of position whatsoever (I wasn't kidding when I > >> said vipassana is the SAS of meditation sessions!).Ãâà > >> > > > >> > > Mike > >> > > > >> > > > >> > > > >> > > ________________________________ > >> > > From: Bill! <BillSmart@> > >> > > To: [email protected] <mailto:Zen_Forum%40yahoogroups.com> > >> > > Sent: Wednesday, 1 June 2011, 16:08 > >> > > Subject: Re: [Zen] Zen, zen and Theravada Buddhism > >> > > > >> > > > >> > > Ãâà > >> > > Mike, > >> > > > >> > > At home I have a zafu and zabuton. My zafu is x-large to > >> accomodate my x-large butt. I sit cross-legged now. I used to sit in > >> a half-lotus but never could really manage a full-lotus. I eventually > >> found the half-lotus to put me into a little bit of a tilt so I now > >> just sit cross-legged, and switch the top and bottom leg occasionally > >> when I remember to do so. I usually sit for 3-consequtive 20-minute > >> periods with a 5-minute break in between to get up and stretch, walk > >> around or go to the toliet. > >> > > > >> > > When I travel I just stuff a pillow between my legs and sit in a > >> kneeling position; or if that doesn't work I just sit on a firm chair > >> (wood is best), sitting on the front edge with my back straight and > >> not leaning against the chair. > >> > > > >> > > How about you? > >> > > > >> > > ...Bill! > >> > > > >> > > --- In [email protected] > >> <mailto:Zen_Forum%40yahoogroups.com>, mike brown <uerusuboyo@> wrote: > >> > > > > >> > > > Bill!, > >> > > > > >> > > > >or (IMO) ATTACHMENT to jhanas. > >> > > > > >> > > > Do you usually use a zafu/mat etc. to sit zazen, or do you just > >> sit wherever? > >> > > > > >> > > > Mike > >> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > > > > > > > ------------------------------------ Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: [email protected] [email protected] <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [email protected] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
