Hi Chris,

> I find that no-self is present in each totally ordinary moment;

That is how it really is. But are we all in this no-self state at each moment? 
I know I'm not. This sense of "I" is there almost all the time.

Siska
-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Austin-Lane <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 11:26:21 
To: [email protected]<[email protected]>
Reply-To: [email protected]
Subject: Fwd: [Zen] Zen, zen and Theravada Buddhism

I find that no-self is present in each totally ordinary moment; when
the toe hits the chair, there is no self.  Understanding no-self is
the first state, and ends when i start to mistake the mental activity
"stupid others, hurting me; stupid me, carelessly stubbing my toe,"
for something other than my habitual response to stubbing my toe.
Anatta is forgotten not because we didn't do something but because we
did something to forget it.

Anatta isn't to say you can lose yourself (or should) it is to say no
one anywhere ever had a self.  It is a false idea, and each moment
rolls on with out any selves around.

In general, zazen and the path is not something to do.  It is
realizing, in your body, the lack of need to try to do things. Trust
in life to take care of each moment, whether you are sitting or
speaking or stubbing your toe or writing or whatever.

Thanks,Chris Austin-Lane+1-301-270-6524
On Jun 4, 2011, at 7:05, [email protected] wrote:














Hi Ed,

> The anatta aspect may need a little more effort to penetrate

....more effort and as much letting go.

SiskaFrom:  "ED" <[email protected]>
Sender:  [email protected]
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 12:48:05 -0000To:
<[email protected]>ReplyTo:  [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Zen] Zen, zen and Theravada Buddhism










Hi

Pain underscores the three characteristics of being in Buddhism:  dukkha
(suffering), anicca (impermanence), and anatta (no-self). The anatta
aspect may need a little more effort to penetrate.

--ED

--- In [email protected], siska_cen@... wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> > Vipassana meditation encourages you to face that discomfort and gain
insight into the impermanence of that pain/discomfort and how our
body/mind reactes to it (usually aversion).
>
> I've seen you relating pain to insight into impermanence a few times.
I often read this in books or articles too. Why isn't it related to
suffering and no-self too? When experiencing pain, one can see it as
pain instead of *my* pain. This is not insight of impermanence, is it?
>
> Siska


















Reply via email to