Bill!,<br/><br/>I think I'm starting to understand where our paths cross in all 
this (I hope!). Traditional Buddhism uses the sutras and teachings (most 
notably The Four Noble Truths and the Eight-Fold Path) to Liberation. Zen views 
these methods as potential hindrances to Awakening (being the finger and not 
the moon), so posits that sudden awakening is the best way (but not the only 
way) to realise Buddha's experience under the Bodhi tree. <br/><br/>I think 
this view is supported by many Zen masters as they often point out that *after* 
awakening practice is gradual and recommend reading of the sutras etc. to 
deepen the realisation. So I think we're both coming to the same conclusion 
about Buddha Nature, but from different directions. I must say that I have no 
problem coming from either direction as I practice both (Vipassana and Zen). I 
can fully understand why Subhana (the Roshi of previous discussion) teaches 
both traditions. They are complementary
 not antagonistic. Does this make sense?<br/><br/>Mike<br/><br/><br/>Sent from 
Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

Reply via email to