-snip-

> > What I'm doing is mounting the smb share with WinXP
> and pulling data from the ZFS mirror pool at 2.3MiB/s
> across the network. Writing to the same share from
> the WinXP host I get a fairly consistent 342KiB/s
> speed.

-snip-

> What performance are you getting with transfers over
> other protocols,
> e.g. SCP with Putty? Have you tried using a different
> network card? If
> you are getting bad one-way performance with file
> copies your network
> stack may be a culprit - check that your NIC is
> operating in full-duplex
> mode (methods to check this are card-dependent, but
> may well involve
> ndd(1M)).
>
> Chris

Chris,

I didn't cross post the following, it was sent only to the cifs discuss list:
nge. Onboard nvidia nforce 570 Ultra MCP onboard gigabit nic for the Asus M2N-E
board.

nge: [ID 801725 kern.info] NOTICE: nge0: Using FIXED interrupt type
mac: [ID 469746 kern.info] NOTICE: nge0 registered
mac: [ID 435574 kern.info] NOTICE: nge0 link up, 100 Mbps, full duplex

This is actually the first time I checked the nic. Looks like ndd reports it as
being in 100Mbps. Not gigabit. I'm not sure what that's all about. Although I
did just find out that dladm replaces ndd. ...

-end repost-

As for the other protocols, I have stats for those:
FTP from WinXP to Solaris ZFS
Read: 11MiB/s
Write: 4.7MiB/s, spiking to 6.0MiB/s

SFTP from WinXP to Solaris ZFS
Read: 500KiB/s
Write: 1.9MiB/s (odd, no fluctuation in speed, and I'm sure this is a windows
thing as I had the same dismal performance when attempting SFTP to a linux box)

FTP from Linux to Solaris
Read: 2.6MiB/s
Write: 4.4MiB/s

SFTP from Linux to Solaris
Read: 2.6MiB/s
Write:  4.6MiB/s

Those just from single file transfers. It's not like I did 10 tests.

Jose Borrego noted the following in the cifs discuss list:
I should put back a fix related to performance this week CR 6686647. I
don't know if it's related to what you are experiencing but the
performance boost is quite significant.

Thanks for the help.
rick