> I didn't cross post the following, it was sent only to the cifs discuss list:
> nge. Onboard nvidia nforce 570 Ultra MCP onboard gigabit nic for the Asus
> M2N-E board.
>
> nge: [ID 801725 kern.info] NOTICE: nge0: Using FIXED interrupt type
> mac: [ID 469746 kern.info] NOTICE: nge0 registered
> mac: [ID 435574 kern.info] NOTICE: nge0 link up, 100 Mbps, full duplex
>
> This is actually the first time I checked the nic. Looks like ndd reports it
> as being in 100Mbps. Not gigabit. I'm not sure what that's all about.
> Although I did just find out that dladm replaces ndd. ...

If your switch is gigabit as well there may have been some problems with
speed negotiation. I actually had SXDE running on the same motherboard a
while ago and had some problems with the stock nge driver - I eventually
installed an older Intel 100Mb NIC and got much better bulk transfer
performance from it. This may have been addressed by now though.

> -end repost-
>
> As for the other protocols, I have stats for those:
> FTP from WinXP to Solaris ZFS
> Read: 11MiB/s
> Write: 4.7MiB/s, spiking to 6.0MiB/s
>
> SFTP from WinXP to Solaris ZFS
> Read: 500KiB/s
> Write: 1.9MiB/s (odd, no fluctuation in speed, and I'm sure this is a windows
> thing as I had the same dismal performance when attempting SFTP to a linux
> box)
>
> FTP from Linux to Solaris
> Read: 2.6MiB/s
> Write: 4.4MiB/s
>
> SFTP from Linux to Solaris
> Read: 2.6MiB/s
> Write:  4.6MiB/s
>
> Those just from single file transfers. It's not like I did 10 tests.

> Jose Borrego noted the following in the cifs discuss list:
> I should put back a fix related to performance this week CR 6686647. I
> don't know if it's related to what you are experiencing but the
> performance boost is quite significant.

It wouldn't explain the SFTP performance from XP to Solaris though.
Unless the processing overhead for encrypted protocols is too much for
your Windows box, I think your problem lies elsewhere than in the type
of filesystem.

Chris