On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Ahmed Kamal <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Well, if you can probably afford more SATA drives for the purchase
>> price, you can put them in a striped-mirror set up, and that may help
>> things. If your disks are cheap you can afford to buy more of them
>> (space, heat, and power not withstanding).
>>

> Hmm, that's actually cool !
> If I configure the system with
>
> 10 x 400G 10k rpm disk == cost ==> 13k$
> 10 x 1TB SATA 7200     == cost ==> 9k$
>
> Always assuming 2 spare disks, and Using the sata disks, I would configure
> them in raid1 mirror (raid6 for the 400G), Besides being cheaper, I would
> get more useable space (4TB vs 2.4TB), Better performance of raid1 (right?),
> and better data reliability ?? (don't really know about that one) ?
>
> Is this a recommended setup ? It looks too good to be true ?

I *HIGHLY* doubt you'll see better performance out of the SATA, but it is
possible.  You don't need 2 spares with SAS, 1 is more than enough with that
few disks.  I'd suggest doing RAID-Z (raid-5) as well if you've only got 9
data disks.  8+1 is more than acceptable with SAS drives.

--Tim