Hm, richard's excellent Graphs here http://blogs.sun.com/relling/tags/mttdl
as well as his words say he prefers mirroring over raidz/raidz2 almost
always. It's better for performance and MTTDL.

Since 8 sata raid1 is cheaper and probably more reliable than 8 raidz2 sas
(and I dont need extra sas performance), and offers better performance and
MTTDL than 8 sata raidz2, I guess I will go with 8-sata-raid1 then!
Hope I'm not horribly mistaken :)