Ahmed Kamal wrote:

>     So, performance aside, does SAS have other benefits ? Data
>     integrity ? How would a 8 raid1 sata compare vs another 8 smaller
>     SAS disks in raidz(2) ?
>     Like apples and pomegranates.  Both should be able to saturate a
>     GbE link.
>

> You're the expert, but isn't the 100M/s for streaming not random
> read/write. For that, I suppose the disk drops to around 25M/s which
> is why I was mentioning 4 sata disks.
>
> When I was asking for comparing the 2 raids, It's was aside from
> performance, basically sata is obviously cheaper, it will saturate the
> gig link, so performance yes too, so the question becomes which has
> better data protection ( 8 sata raid1 or 8 sas raidz2)

Good question.  Since you are talking about different disks, the
vendor specs are different.  The  500 GByte Seagate Barracuda
7200.11 I described above is rated with an MTBF of 750,000 hours,
even  though it comes in either a SATA or SAS interface -- but that isn't
so  interesting.  A 450 GByte Seagate Cheetah 15k.6 (SAS) has a rated
MTBF of 1.6M hours.  Putting that into RAIDoptimizer we see:

Disk       RAID      MTTDL[1](yrs)     MTTDL[2](yrs)
Barracuda  1+0             284,966             5,351
           z2          180,663,117         6,784,904
Cheetah    1+0           1,316,385           126,839
           z2        1,807,134,968       348,249,968

For ZFS, 50% space used, logistical MTTR=24 hours, mirror
resync time = 60 GBytes/hr

In general, (2-way) mirrors are single parity, raidz2 is double parity.
If you use a triple mirror, then the numbers will be closer to the raidz2
numbers.

For explanations of these models, see my blog,
    http://blogs.sun.com/relling/entry/a_story_of_two_mttdl

 -- richard