On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 7:33 AM, scott <new.mail.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> do you mean a pool on a SEPARATE partition?
> --

That is what I do.  In particular, I have:

fdisk partition 1 = Solaris partition type 0xbf  = rpool = 40 GB
fdisk partition 2 = MSDOS partition type = SHARED zpool = 190 GB
fdisk partition 3 = 30 GB Extended partition. Logical partition 5 used for
Ubuntu Root, Logical Partition 6 = Ubuntu Swap.

This leaves me with the option of creating an fdisk partition 4 for another
operating system.

Disadvantages:
1. Partitioning means ZFS does not turn on write-caching.
2. Also there is "wasted space". (Partitioning implies pre-allocating space,
which means you have to dedicate space that you may not use)

Advantages:
1. I can import the SHARED zpool under Ubuntu and thus I have the perfect
shared space solution between the two operating systems, without having to
worry about clashing mount points which would be present if I tried to
import the root pool.
2.  If I needed to re-install, I would only wipe/destroy/touch the OS, not
my user data.

I have not yet made the move from Solaris Express to OpenSolaris, so I am
still using Live Upgrade.  I generally upgrade to every new release,
sometimes to my sorrow.  But it does not touch my "SHARED data" zpool.

One other thing:  I started a "convention" of using all-capital names for my
ZFS pool names.  It makes them stand out nicely in the output of df and
mount, but in particular ir distinguishes nicely between the pool name and
the mountpoint because I then mount the "SHARED" pool on "/shared".

   Arthur C. Clarke

My blog: http://initialprogramload.blogspot.com