Blake wrote:
You definitely need SUNWsmbskr - the cifs server provided with
OpenSolaris is tied to the kernel at some low level.

I found this entry helpful:

<http://blogs.sun.com/timthomas/entry/solaris_cifs_in_workgroup_mode>

Looks like it will be immensely so..
However it appears from the comments there that I need to have the smb server online before the directions there are very usefull.

I've installed both SUNWsmbs and SUNWsmbskr  and rebooted as directed.
pkg shows them installed.
   pkg list|grep smbs
  SUNWsmbs          0.5.11-0.101    installed
  SUNWsmbskr        0.5.11-0.101    installed

However I still get the same error when trying to start smb server.
  [ Feb 18 14:36:36 Enabled. ]
  [ Feb 18 14:36:36 Executing start method ("/usr/lib/smbsrv/smbd
  start"). ]
  smbd: NetBIOS services started
  smbd: kernel bind error: No such file or directory
  smbd: daemon initialization failed
  [ Feb 18 14:36:37 Method "start" exited with status 95. ]

I'm not finding many clues with google as to what to do, but as always its not doubt that my search strings are lacking, since I don't have enough experience yet to know what to look for exactly. Something like this:
    how to "install SUNWsmbskr"
Turns up man messges about the need to reboot after installing but not any I see about how to deal with any problems with the install itself.