Blake <blake.ir...@gmail.com> writes:

> have you made sure that samba is *disabled*?
>
> svcs samba
>
> ?

First..good news ... its working.

About samba:
Yeah, that was one of the things I did find while googling.  But
apparently that package is not installed by default.. it was not
installed here at any rate:

root # pkg list |grep smb
SUNWlibsmbclient  3.0.28-0.101     installed
SUNWsmbfs         0.5.11-0.101     installed
SUNWsmbfskr       0.5.11-0.101     installed
SUNWsmbs          0.5.11-0.101     installed
SUNWsmbskr        0.5.11-0.101     installed

And of course svcs shows no evidence of it.

It appears now that smb/server is working... I've had occasion to
reboot at least twice more since the reboot that followed installation
of smbs and smbskr... but only now has the `maintenance' mode turned
into `online'

  svcs |grep smb
  online         20:19:12 svc:/network/smb/server:default
  online         20:19:34 svc:/network/smb/client:default

A beautiful sight.. hehe.. I've been thrashing around for 2 days on
this.  It would be nice to know just what really happened there.  I'm
guessing its pretty likely to be some ill-informed oversight of mine.

Thanks for your time... now I can continue the setup.