On Sep 29, 2009, at 2:41 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 06:04:01PM -0400, Thomas Burgess wrote:
personally i like this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219021

it's got 20 hot swap bays, and it's surprisingly well built. For the money,
it's an amazing deal.

You don't like http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/chassis_storage.cfm ?
I must admit I don't have a price list of these.

When running that many hard drives I would insist on redundant
power supplies, and server motherboards with ECC memory. Unless
it's for home use, where a downtime of days or weeks is not critical.

I hadn't thought of going that way because I was looking for at least a somewhat pre-packaged system, but another posted pointed out how many more drives I could get by choosing case/motherboard separately. I agree, with this much trouble it doesn't make sense to settle for fewer drive slots than I can get.

I agree completely with the ECC. It's for home use, so the power supply issue isn't huge (though if it's possible that's a plus). My concern with this particular option is noise. It will be in a closet, but one with louvered doors right off a room where people watch TV. Anything particularly loud would be an issue. The comments on Newegg make this sound pretty loud. Have you tried one outside of a server room environment?

Thanks,
Ware