On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 07:28:13AM -0400, rwali...@washdcmail.com wrote:

> I agree completely with the ECC.  It's for home use, so the power
> supply issue isn't huge (though if it's possible that's a plus).  My
> concern with this particular option is noise.  It will be in a closet,
> but one with louvered doors right off a room where people watch TV.
> Anything particularly loud would be an issue.  The comments on Newegg
> make this sound pretty loud.  Have you tried one outside of a server
> room environment?

No, basically all rackmount gear (especially 1-2 height units) which
dissipates nontrivial power is loud, since it has to maintain air flow,
which at small geometries means high-rpm and high-pitched noise. I've
just hauled a 3U Supermicro chassis from my office, where it has
been running for a couple weeks into a server room, where such
systems belongs.

The only way to deal with that is watercooling, or operating the thing
out of your earshot (cellar, etc).

There are large enclosures with large, slow-moving fans which are
suitable for the living room, but I doubt you can miss 16-24 drives
in action.