On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:48 AM, David Dyer-Bennet <d...@dd-b.net> wrote:

> On Wed, September 30, 2009 07:14, Thomas Burgess wrote:
> > For the money, it's a much better option. you'll be able to afford many
> > more drives.  In my opinion, for a home system, the more you can save on
> > the
> > case and power supply, the more hard drives you can buy.  Right now 1 TB
> > and
> > 1.5 TB drives seem to be the best.  I used 1 TB drives and 2 compact
> flash
> > cards for the os (with sata to compact flash adapters)  They are really
> > small and easy to find a place to mount, which allows you to use the
> > hotswap bays for even more storage.
>
> I've been running a home ZFS server for a while now; mine currently has
> two two-way mirrors of 400GB disks, i.e. 800GB usable data space.  I've
> got a couple hundred GB free currently.  This server holds my music
> collection, plus my digital photography, plus what's scanned of my film
> photography, plus my ebook collection, plus the usual random personal
> files &c.  And it serves as a backup pool for several laptops.
>
> I can see that people heavily active in live audio or (especially) video
> recording would fill disks considerably faster than my still photography
> does (about 12MB per image, before I start editing it and storing extra
> copies).  But I have to say that I'm finding the size NAS boxes people are
> building for what they call "home use" to be rather startling.  I'm using
> 4 400GB disks with 100% redundancy; lots of people are talking about using
> 8 or more 1TB or bigger disks with 25% redundancy.  That's a hugely bigger
> pool!  Do you actually fill up that space?  With what?
>
> I've got 8 hot-swap bays but only 6 controller channels on the
> motherboard.  And I'm using two of those for the boot disks.  I've thought
> about going away from rotating disks for boot, to something like CF cards,
> or USB.  USB is slow, but will that hurt me any when the system is being a
> file server?
>
> What going to USB does for me is free up two SATA controllers, so I can
> expand my pool without buying another controller and messing about inside
> the box.  Also, I don't need a mirrored pool for boot if it's a cheap USB
> drive and I can keep a spare copy or two, and just swap them if there's
> any problem with the first one.
>
> i fill mine up with TV shows and Movies.  I have a LOT of hd stuff, 1080p
and 720p

A 1080p Movie can take up from 8 gb to 20 gb depending on encoding.  I'm a
digital packrack.  I've replaced cable with a ZFS backed network of htpcs
running xbmc on the ionitx boards.  Each htpc uses about 30 watts of power
peak and does 1080p without a problem.  each box also has a dvd player in it
if we want to watch an old dvd.  I also have rtorrent running using rss to
grab all the new shows, which normally show up a few minutes to an hour
after they air.  I've got them set to automatically sort and placed in the
correct spot.   It's easy to fill up many tb's of space with whole seasons
of 720p and 1080p TV, and hundreds of movies.  Using xbmc and some of the
wonderful skins you can make some amazing alternatives to cable.  I just got
tired of channel surfing.  Also, i use my multi TB system to run rsync
backups on all the computers i care about.  Snapshots allow me to return to
any day....

I'm also saving right now to build a backup system to have a second copy of
the stuff i don't want to lose.  I also try not to go over 50-70% full.
 when i get that full i start looking at ways to upgrade.  I started with
linux and an xfs based system on a single tb drive and just kept expanding
it...when i found out about ZFS i knew that was the way to go.  I can't
stand to delete the stuff i have unless i find better copies...so as long as
there is new stuff coming out, i'll probably keep expanding my system.