>From your description, it sounds like you are looking for an independent nas
>hardware box?  In which case using freenas or opensolaris to handle the
>hardware and present iscsi volumes to your vms, is a pretty simple solution.

If your instead looking for one box to handle both data storage and vms, then I
would suggest looking into vmware esxi.  A vm hosted on esxi can be given full
control of certain hardware, which isn't possible on vmware server.

Alternatively you could set up an opensolaris dom0 using xVM (Xen), and have
the dom0 handle the drives. But this would require more complicated conversion
of existing vms, or rebuilding. Or do the same thing with freebsd as your base
system.