On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Joe Auty <j...@netmusician.org> wrote:

>  Tim Cook wrote:
>

>> It appears that one can get more in the way of features out of VMWare
>> Server for free than with ESX, which is seemingly a hook into buying more
>> VMWare stuff.
>>
>> I've never looked at Sun xVM, in fact I didn't know it even existed, but I
>> do now. Thank you, I will research this some more!
>>
>> The only other variable, I guess, is the future of said technologies given
>> the Oracle takeover? There has been much discussion on how this impacts ZFS,
>> but I'll have to learn how xVM might be affected, if at all.
>>

> Quite frankly, I wouldn't let that stop you.  Even if Oracle were to pull
> the plug on xVM entirely (not likely), you could very easily just move the
> VM's back over to *insert your favorite flavor of Linux* or Citrix Xen.
> Including Unbreakable Linux (Oracle's version of RHEL).
>

> I remember now why Xen was a no-go from when I last tested it. I rely on
> the 64 bit version of FreeBSD for most of my VM guest machines, and FreeBSD
> only supports running as domU on i386 systems. This is a monkey wrench!
>
> Sorry, just thinking outloud here...

I have no idea what it supports right now.  I can't even find a decent
support matrix.  Quite frankly, I would (and do) just use a separate server
for the fileserver than the vm box.  You can get 64bit cpu's with 4GB of ram
for awfully cheap nowadays.  That should be more than enough for most home
workloads.

--Tim