On 4/4/2010 11:04 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> Actually, It's my experience that Sun (and other vendors) do exactly
>> that for you when you buy their parts - at least for rotating drives, I
>> have no experience with SSD's.
>>
>> The Sun disk label shipped on all the drives is setup to make the drive
>> the standard size for that sun part number. They have to do this since
>> they (for many reasons) have many sources (diff. vendors, even diff.
>> parts from the same vendor) for the actual disks they use for a
>> particular Sun part number.
>>
> Actually, if there is a fdisk partition and/or disklabel on a drive when it
> arrives, I'm pretty sure that's irrelevant.  Because when I first connect a
> new drive to the HBA, of course the HBA has to sign and initialize the drive
> at a lower level than what the OS normally sees.  So unless I do some sort
> of special operation to tell the HBA to preserve/import a foreign disk, the
> HBA will make the disk blank before the OS sees it anyway.

That may be true. Though these days they may be spec'ing the drives to
the manufacturer's at an even lower level.

So does your HBA have newer firmware now than it did when the first disk
was connected?
Maybe it's the HBA that is handling the new disks differently now, than
it did when the first one was plugged in?

Can you down rev the HBA FW? Do you have another HBa that might still
have the older Rev you coudltest it on?

  -Kyle