> I know it is way after the fact, but I find it best to coerce each
> drive down to the whole GB boundary using format (create Solaris
> partition just up to the boundary). Then if you ever get a drive a
> little smaller it still should fit.

It seems like it should be unnecessary.  It seems like extra work.  But
based on my present experience, I reached the same conclusion.

If my new replacement SSD with identical part number and firmware is 0.001
Gb smaller than the original and hence unable to mirror, what's to prevent
the same thing from happening to one of my 1TB spindle disk mirrors?
Nothing.  That's what.

I take it back.  Me.  I am to prevent it from happening.  And the technique
to do so is precisely as you've said.  First slice every drive to be a
little smaller than actual.  Then later if I get a replacement device for
the mirror, that's slightly smaller than the others, I have no reason to
care.