On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 01:54:26PM -0700, Rich Teer wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Mike Mackovitch wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> > So, it looks like you need to investigate why the client isn't
> > getting responses from the server's "lockd".
> >
> > This is usually caused by a firewall or NAT getting in the way.
>
> Great idea--I was indeed connected to my network using the AirPort interface,
> thorugh a Wifi router.  So as an experiment, I tried using a hard-wired,
> manually set up Ethernet connection.  Same result: no dice.  :-(
>
> I checked the firewall settings on my laptop, and the firewall is turned off.
>
> Do you have any other ideas?  It'd be really nice to get this working!

I would also check /var/log/system.log and /var/log/kernel.log on the Mac to
see if any other useful messages are getting logged.

Then I'd grab packet traces with wireshark/tcpdump/snoop *simultaneously* on
the client and the server, reproduce the problem, and then determine which
packets are being sent and which packets are being received.

HTH
--macko