* Edward Ned Harvey (solar...@nedharvey.com) wrote:
> > From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> > boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Matt Keenan
> >
> > Just wondering whether mirroring a USB drive with main laptop disk for
> > backup purposes is recommended or not.
> >
> > Plan would be to connect the USB drive, once or twice a week, let it
> > resilver, and then disconnect again. Connecting USB drive 24/7 would
> > AFAIK have performance issues for the Laptop.
>
> MMmmm...  If it works, sounds good.  But I don't think it'll work as
> expected, for a number of reasons, outlined below.

It used to work for James Gosling.

http://blogs.sun.com/jag/entry/solaris_and_os_x

[snip]

> > This would have the added benefit of the USB drive being bootable.
>
> By default, AFAIK, that's not correct.  When you mirror rpool to
> another device, by default the 2nd device is not bootable, because
> it's just got an rpool in there.  No boot loader.

That's true, but easily fixed (just like for any other mirrored pool
configuration).

installgrub -m /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/{disk}

> Even if you do this mirror idea, which I believe will be slower and
> less reliable than "zfs send | zfs receive" you still haven't gained
> anything as compared to the "zfs send | zfs receive" procedure, which
> is known to work reliable with optimal performance.

How about ease-of-use, all you have to do is plug in the usb disk and
zfs will 'do the right thing'.  You don't have to remember to run zfs
send | zfs receive, or bother with figuring out what to send/recv etc
etc etc.

Cheers,

--
Glenn