On Wed, 5 May 2010, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

Here are the obstacles I think you'll have with your proposed solution:

#1 I think all the entire used portion of the filesystem needs to resilver
every time.  I don't think there's any such thing as an incremental
resilver.

It sounds like you are not sure. Maybe you should be sure. Yes, I do think that it is a wise idea if you are really sure.

See "Transactional pruning" at

  http://blogs.sun.com/bonwick/entry/smokin_mirrors

and then "Top-down resilvering".

This would have the added benefit of the USB drive being bootable.

By default, AFAIK, that's not correct.  When you mirror rpool to another
device, by default the 2nd device is not bootable, because it's just got an
rpool in there.  No boot loader.

Unless it was added at install time, or the user added a boot loader. It is quite doable since it is the normal case as when a system is installed onto a mirror pair of disks.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn