Yes, I turned the system off before I connected the disks to the other
controller. And I turned the system off beore moving them back to the original
controller.

Now it seems like the system does not see the pool at all.

The disks are there, and they have not been used so I do not understand why I
cannot see the pool anymore.

Short version of what I did (actual output is in the original post):
zpool status -> pool is there but unavailable
zpool import -> pool already created
zpool export -> I/O error
format
cfgadm
zpool status -> pool is gone......

It seems like the pool vanished after cfgadm?

Any pointers? I am really getting worried now that the pool is gone for good.

What I do not understand is why it is gone - the disks are still there, so it
should be possible to import the pool?

What am I missing here? Any ideas?