Christoph Noack wrote:
Hi Florian, Brian and Dennis!

A similar discussion has been started quite recently on the website-dev
mailing list. To be honest, it has been started by me and the number of

Maybe that can be easily changed with your help. Basically, there are
several more or less independent blogs/planets/information sources which
miss a common design and a central location. For example: the marketing
blog, the NLC planet, GullFOSS, the UX team blog, ...

Since about one year we have the OpenOffice.org Planet which aggregates
information and also allows to set-up sub-blogs. Might this be helpful
for the marketing? And, since they are based on the same structure,
other planets and the main site would have some benefit, too.

Please read on here (and come back for the rest of the mail *g*):
http://website.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=11193
FYI: This link didn't work for me...

Florian, the UX team faces a pretty similar situation. That is how we
try to address it:
      * Blogs: The Sun employees do use GullFOSS exclusively. Since only
        few people have an own blog, we set up a Blogspot blog for the
        community (similar to the ooomarketing, see [1]).
      * Aggregation: We use a sub-planet of the official OOo Planet to
        aggregate our postings from Sun and other community members.
        That allows us to present UX topics only [2].
      * Aggregation²: We added the same sources to the official OOo
        Planet to present it to the whole community. The advantage is -
        when having only few postings - that there is sufficient traffic
        which covers the whole world around OOo. [3]
      * Blogspot design: Some time ago, I started to adapt the simple
        theme to better match the OOo colors. I know that it is fa...ar
        from perfect, but maybe it is a starting point.

[1] http://uxopenofficeorg.blogspot.com/
[2] http://planet.services.openoffice.org/ux
[3] http://planet.services.openoffice.org

Aehm, there are still some unresolved issues. But anyway, I hope it
helps a bit to continue the discussion. Maybe there is a chance to not
only improve marketing stuff, but also all kind of news und buzz around
OOo ;-)

By the way, it seems that there are no links between ooomarketing and
OOo Planet - and vice versa. Strange...
This, to me, is one of the main issues with the blogs: Accessibility. It took me some effort to find the Marketing Blog and I was specifically looking for it.