Hi Christoph,

A similar discussion has been started quite recently on the website-dev
mailing list. To be honest, it has been started by me and the number of

:-)

Maybe that can be easily changed with your help. Basically, there are
several more or less independent blogs/planets/information sources which
miss a common design and a central location. For example: the marketing
blog, the NLC planet, GullFOSS, the UX team blog, ...

We have to distinct between blogs and planets here. While blogs enable us to post own content, planets need other blogs to deliver content, e.g. based on tags. The marketing project is not able to post content in a blog without having its own blog, other than solely relaying information from other authors.

Planets are to combine many blogs with similar topics into one source. If we give up our marketing blog, we still can have a planet that relays information e.g. from John's blog, from Charles' blog etc. That, however, would require every author having its own blog.

Since about one year we have the OpenOffice.org Planet which aggregates
information and also allows to set-up sub-blogs. Might this be helpful
for the marketing? And, since they are based on the same structure,
other planets and the main site would have some benefit, too.

You are aware of our marketing planet? We have such a thing already! :)

       * Blogs: The Sun employees do use GullFOSS exclusively. Since only
         few people have an own blog, we set up a Blogspot blog for the
         community (similar to the ooomarketing, see [1]).
       * Aggregation: We use a sub-planet of the official OOo Planet to
         aggregate our postings from Sun and other community members.
         That allows us to present UX topics only [2].

That's what we do in marketing at the moment, basically.

       * Aggregation²: We added the same sources to the official OOo
         Planet to present it to the whole community. The advantage is -
         when having only few postings - that there is sufficient traffic
         which covers the whole world around OOo. [3]

You mean one "giant OOo planet" with all topics, like marketing, development, UX etc.? Would be okay for me.

Florian