Hi Flo,

how time goes by :-) I would like to continue the little discussion we
had about blogs and planets.

Am Montag, den 11.01.2010, 13:30 +0100 schrieb Florian Effenberger:
> Hi Christoph,
> > Maybe that can be easily changed with your help. Basically, there are
> > several more or less independent blogs/planets/information sources which
> > miss a common design and a central location. For example: the marketing
> > blog, the NLC planet, GullFOSS, the UX team blog, ...
>
> We have to distinct between blogs and planets here.
[...snip...]
> That, however, would require every author having its own blog.

I'm pretty much aware of the difference between blogs and planets.
Especially since not everybody wants to have an own blog (I am one of
those, for example). And sometimes - apart from the content - the
aggregated content greatly decreases the reading pleasure :-)

> > Since about one year we have the OpenOffice.org Planet which aggregates
> > information and also allows to set-up sub-blogs. Might this be helpful
> > for the marketing? And, since they are based on the same structure,
> > other planets and the main site would have some benefit, too.
>
> You are aware of our marketing planet? We have such a thing already! :)

Yep, I know. To be honest, that was one of the reasons for proposing
such a central place to make it easier for people to access our topics.
Although we are a large project, why do we offer the same information
(or let's say somehow overlapping subsets) at different places. To me,
maybe also to others, this might be a bit confusing to locate "the"
desired content.

> >        * Blogs: The Sun employees do use GullFOSS exclusively. Since only
> >          few people have an own blog, we set up a Blogspot blog for the
> >          community (similar to the ooomarketing, see [1]).
> >        * Aggregation: We use a sub-planet of the official OOo Planet to
> >          aggregate our postings from Sun and other community members.
> >          That allows us to present UX topics only [2].
>
> That's what we do in marketing at the moment, basically.
>
> >        * Aggregation²: We added the same sources to the official OOo
> >          Planet to present it to the whole community. The advantage is -
> >          when having only few postings - that there is sufficient traffic
> >          which covers the whole world around OOo. [3]
>
> You mean one "giant OOo planet" with all topics, like marketing,
> development, UX etc.? Would be okay for me.

Exactly. One giant planet with all topics and - for visitors with
different needs - some sub-sets which cover one topic, e.g. marketing or
UX. That would (hopefully) reduce the effort for maintaining the
planets. Currently this would be http://planet.services.openoffice.org

Then, the main open point would still be the availability of blogs for
community members. But, that is something you already started to address
- if I remember correctly.

Bye,
Christoph