I understand all the reasons, but I must disagree on a couple of points*.

I think it might have to do with me having a different experience with
these topics, but while I do agree that there's absolutely a great
advantage of having a women-only space, I also think that it is
context-dependent.

I don't know if we can deal or attempt to fix the gendergap issues in
Wikipedia without engaging the men. I can also see how some men really want
to help but are unaware of the depth of the problems at hand, so I don't
see a problem with dedicating one or two threads to talking about it.

Then again, that's also why I prefer forums over lists; in forums, you can
have these types of discussions and people can choose which discussion to
go and read and which to ignore and never get into. Much harder to do in an
email lists. But I digress.

I think that there could be a huge benefit of a more closed or restricted
women-only group and that group can serve as both a place to feel
comfortable in (which is VERY important) and a place to brainstorm without
fear of argumentative responses.

*But* since this specific mailing list is public, I think we should
definitely consider the fact that having men -- and, yes, sometimes
spending the energy of explaining (or creating a boilerplate response if
these cases start being overwhelming) might actually work for our benefit.
I'm thinking about men who don't really "get it" but want to, who try to
understand but don't notice that they're stuck in the same issues we're
trying to improve.

If we don't handle those situations, we will lose the allies we *have* to
have in order to commit realistic changes in the community.

Moriel

* Oh noes, argumentativeness!

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 1:40 AM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Valerie's interesting comments are in line with one of the reasons I've
> stayed off of this list in the past. I am ok with women having a space
> without men around, just like I feel men should be able to have a space
> without women around. I'm familiar with a workplace where at least one
> employee lounge is female-only, and considering that many of the employees
> of both genders have union representation, I suppose that the employees as
> a whole support having that lounge be the way it is. In the Wikipedia
> context, if some women wanted to have a supportive email list or social
> network group only for women, where women could talk in relative privacy, I
> would say go for it.
>
> Interestingly, I was invited, completely sight unseen and with only the
> most basic of introductions from a third party, to attend an edit-a-thon at
> what I believe was a female-focused software engineering workspace. I told
> the person who invited me that I was uncomfortable with stepping into the
> women's space, and she assured me that as long as people are respectful
> that everything would be ok. I'm not the type of male who would invite
> myself to an event like that, nor do I plan on setting up workshops for the
> opposite gender. I thought it was remarkably open of the women to invite me
> into their space, especially knowing relatively little about me. I guess
> they felt safety in numbers? I'm not used to getting that kind of
> invitation!
>
> Anyway, if some of the WikiWomen want to set up a relatively private and
> supportive space just for WikiWomen, I'd say that sounds like an idea worth
> trying. If there is some need for resources, IdeaLab and the grants
> programs stand ready to hear requests. (:
>
> Pine
>

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Carol Moore dc <carolmoor...@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for excellent comments below. Let's keep them in mind. Even some
>> of us "tough chicks" still can get sucked into the "helper" role even if
>> it's against our own interests... sigh...
>>
>> On 7/2/2014 6:33 PM, Valerie Aurora wrote:

>>> Hi Phoebe,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your thoughtful and carefully explained comment! The
>>> perspective I am coming from here is over 13 years of experience with
>>> spaces for supporting women in open tech/culture, starting with
>>> LinuxChix in 2002.
>>>
>>> A pattern that groups like this have found over and over again is that
>>> a spaces designed to support women in these areas inevitably attract
>>> men with poor social skills, who then ask the group for (unpaid) help
>>> improving their social skills. In most open tech/culture groups, such
>>> requests would be unthinkable, but we are often socialized to expect
>>> women to provide emotional support and help to others (especially men
>>> and children) on request, without consideration for the value of their
>>> time and energy.

> [...]

No trees were harmed in the creation of this post.
But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly
inconvenienced during its transmission!