Hi all -

Speaking as one of the list moderators, I unfortunately don't always have
time to proactively reach out to problematic members, or even to read all
list traffic on a timely basis at all times.  (For instance, because I'm in
the process of setting up a new house - I haven't read the thread that this
thread is about fully, although I intend to do so shortly.)  I would like
to state that I agree with Val's last email (and thank you, Val, for
sending it out.)  If there is a problematic situation that the list
moderators have missed (which are currently me, Sue Gardner - who tends to
be busy enough to not be an active moderator, and Liz Kent,) I would
encourage anyone concerned about it to bring it to our direct attention by
emailing one of us individually, or by emailing
gendergap-ow...@lists.wikimedia.org, which will email all three of us.  If
you are interested in becoming a moderator, I'd also invite you to email us
- unfortunately, since Cynthia passed, we're down one moderator from where
we normally are.

I can't speak of the moderation of other lists, but from memory, this list
has had around four people removed or moderated for making misogynistic
comments, one person removed for the combination of making anti-male
comments and generally problematic behavior (the person in question, after
being called out on their original comments, spammed the list moderators
with seven or eight completely profanity filled emails,) two people removed
for general assholery/generally disruptive behavior, and a number of other
people warned privately who subsequently improved their behavior.  Of the
people who have been removed or moderated, probably three of them have
involved proactive action taken by the list mods, and the rest have been
pointed out to us at times when we were ourselves not keeping up with all
list traffic.  We're the most proactively moderated Wikimedia list as far
as I know, but given the special nature of this list, I think all of us
would be more than open to moderating more aggressively.

I'll try to pay more attention to this list than I have been over the last
few months, and will try to take a more proactive moderation stance.  At
the same time, if I do miss someone's problematic behavior, I'd encourage a
list member to point it out to me (or another mod) and not assume that I
don't consider the behavior problematic.  An overwhelming majority of the
time, I'll agree that the behavior is problematic once it's pointed out to
me - I probably just hadn't seen it yet because I often run low enough on
spoons to be unable to keep up with listserv traffic in real time.

Anyway... afk to go read the thread that started this thread.

Best,
Kevin Gorman