What's interesting to me about this discussion, and Gender Gap generally, is
the discrepancy between what is perceived as being driving women editors away
(and if you really want to see a classic example then the 'drop the sticks'
closed section of this discussion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators'_noticeboard/Archive263#Topic_ban_proposal_for_Gibson_Flying_V
 )  and the things that I have actually found difficult on Wikipedia. These are
my bullet points about my first few months of joining Wikipedia.

1. Was reading something on WP and, out  of curiousity, clicked on the other
tabs 'edit' 'history' and 'discussion' just to see what they were about.
2. Realized they were discussions about editing WP and decided to look further
& considered editing WP myself.
3. One tab open with daunting looking amounts of code that I could make
absolutely nothing of, and another tab open next to it with a thing called
'Sandbox'.
4. Almost gave up there and then due to the mistaken idea that I if I wanted to
write an article then I would have nothing but a completely blank canvass and
have to write all the code from scratch by myself.
5. Came back to it the next day thinking, "That can't be it.", created an
account and started making small edits, single lines with a citation, obvious
copy edit errors and asked for help on noticeboards when I was stuck.
6. I had some stuff seized on, deleted as 'unimportant' or tagged for 'not
enough refs', 'orphan', as well as some curt / abrasive comments but nice and
helpful ones too. I should say something more about this - Wikipedia does not
exist in a vacuum, either online or in the world, if nasty comments are the
reason that women don't edit Wikipedia then they wouldn't use social media
either - but they do. Did I think that my edits were being treated
disproportionately to male editors? Yes, but I am female and the off-line world
that I inhabit is also sexist - so what else is new?.
7. So what did have me tearing my hair out early on? I would say that it was
what I would call 'the washing machine effect'. I would have saved myself a lot
of time and trouble if I had had a quick-start guide that explained Help:XXXX,
Template:XXXX, WP:XXXX. I would click 'Help' and be taken to the help homepage,
search 'X', be taken to Help:'X', click on 'Y' - and here was the bit I didn't
realize - when I clicked on 'Y' I was also, by default, leaving 'Help'. I
regarded clicking the Help button as walking into the the lobby of Hotel Help,
I would go through 2-3 links and then think, "Wait a minute, this is just
ordinary Wikipedia, and this is just a definition of [word]. When did I leave
Help?" Back button, back button, back button. "Okay, start over..." I would go
around, and around like this for ages, either stumbling across what I was
looking for, finding another way of doing what I wanted to do, or ask at the
Teahouse (not New Users House? Why?).
8. I only ever visited the Commons when I need a picture for something, used
the search engine to see if the Commons had what I wanted and then went back to
Wikipedia. I didn't stick around to read the conversations so I didn't even
know much about that side of it until I joined Gender Gap.

>Things that I think might help:
1. A culture of irresponsible behaviour stems from bad people. A culture of
responsible behaviour stems from good people. The way to really make a
difference is to crowd out the bad with the good so they bad get bored and go
and find a new place to play. An increased number of sexist images will then be
deleted by the improved culture of the community.
2. The greatest form of outreach is Wikipedia itself. When I was a student what
was valuable to me was a way of accessing resources on topics. I recently went
through Amartya Sen's page and fixed the bibliography / referencing including
author / editor links. This is what his bibliography looked like before:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Amartya_Sen&oldid=611115580#Publications
 and this is it now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amartya_Sen#Bibliography The
same with the referencing section, before:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Amartya_Sen&oldid=611115580#References
 and after: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amartya_Sen#References Similar clean
ups / new articles on other academics from the world of feminist economics /
political science / political psychology / sociology / care work / human
development etc. will increasingly gain Wikipedia a reputation amongst students
and scholars as a useful reference tool and recruiting new editors from that
pool of visitors would change the culture. A similar thing needs to happen with
articles like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_movements_and_ideologies
3. I recently added the biography of the political theorist Jane Bennett
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Bennett_(political_theorist). I had in draft
for a long time, I took her bibliography from her CV and worked through it item
by item. As I did this I checked to see if any co-authors had biographies so I
could author-link them. Michael J. Shapiro was one, I went through his
bibliography and cleaned it up, the co-authors of his books include James Der
Derian, Hayward Alker, David Campbell (academic) - I added author-links on
Shapiro's bio but all three of them need their bibliographies sorting out in a
similar way and their pages need checking for infoboxes, authority control
boxes and LCCN ref no. in authority control boxes.
4. Where dates of birth are known on biographies they should be added to WP's
calender, I've added Jane Bennett's, 31 July 1957
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/31_July#Births
5. When you first 'land' on Wikipedia what are the key pages beyond the main
page:
> Contents: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Contents
> Outlines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Contents/Outlines
> Portals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Contents/Portals
> Lists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Contents/Lists
> Glossaries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Contents/Glossaries
> Indexes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Contents/Indexes
6. The 12 groupings are: General reference / Culture and the arts / Geography
and places / Health and fitness / History and events / Mathematics and logic /
Natural and physical sciences / People and self / Philosophy and thinking /
Religion and belief systems / Society and social sciences / Technology and
applied sciences
A quick glance at the Outline for Philosophy and thinking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Contents/Outlines#Philosophy_and_thinking
shows 'Ethics' with 'Sexual ethics' singled out for special mention - why?
Under Indexes for Society and social sciences
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Contents/Indexes#Society_and_social_sciences
 we have an index for BDSM but red links for Social Policy, Political Science
and Development Studies.
7. There are no Portals of the following names: Pro-life portal / Pro-choice
portal / Abortion debates portal / Same-sex marriage debates portal... so why
is there an, equally contentious, 'Pornography portal', shouldn't it at least
be a 'Pornography debates portal'?
8. For me issues like particular pictures making it onto the Commons only
matter if they are put into articles or if they become featured / POTD. If
there is a debate then fine, mention on Gender Gap and give a link, the same
with other debates where a 'support' or 'oppose' may be needed. Taking on
sexist editors and trying to find new systems of dealing with them and the
images they want to put up is admirable, but there is an element of fiddling
while Rome burns, for instance this is a video on how to edit Wikipedia - which
new editors is this likely to attract?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhvsVaTymzM Recruitment of better editors =
better content = attracting better editors = crowding out the bad.

Marie

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 21:59:59 -0700
From: petefors...@gmail.com
To: gendergap@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Gendergap] [Spam] Re: Sexualized environment on Commons

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Sarah <slimvir...@gmail.com> wrote:

The new hovercards (which I otherwise love) have created another problem, in
that lead images show up when your cursor hovers over a wikilink.

Good point. In general, it would be good to have a more thorough process for
exploring difficult-to-anticipate side effects before new features are broadly
released -- something there's been a lot of discussion about lately.

Back to Ryan's original topic -- the sometimes inappropriate nature of
discussions on Commons -- I started a draft of an essay (which, at least
theoretically, could eventually become a guideline if there is enough support
for it). I think it might be a decent start, but it could use more input and
fleshing out. Please take a look, and feel free to edit as you see fit:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Peteforsyth/Provocative_behavior

-Pete