Carl, thanks for chiming in.

Certainly, let me address that part.

Concerning the initial list of committers: While the project originated
from Onehouse (a company whose offering is powered by Apache Hudi), it's
important to highlight that there has been an effort to have an initial
list of committers that work for a diverse range of companies invested in
different table formats, including Onehouse (4 committers), Microsoft (2),
Google (1), Walmart (1), Adobe (1), Cloudera (1), and Dremio (1). I believe
this diversity dispels the notion of a lack of representation or an
outsized influence from a single group in the community.

Regarding outreach to other communities: As part of the incubation
proposal, we extended invitations to participate in this discussion and
contribute to the project to members of the communities of the most popular
OSS table formats [1][2][3][4]. Responses generally fell into four
categories (including some private responses): (1) Positive reception,
interest in the proposal/vision, and/or thinking about engaging once/if the
project is in the ASF. (2) Technical/feasibility questions, which we
encouraged them to ask on Github since that is our current communication
platform in the XTable project. (3) No response received. (4) Disagreement,
we should all adopt specific format z. It's important to acknowledge the
diversity in these communities and recognize that interest on XTable /
opinions on XTable's viability vary.

Some additional thoughts: I believe everyone involved in XTable is
genuinely working towards making the right decisions for the project and
they are demonstrating good faith, e.g., hopefully evident in the prompt
response to the project's name change when concerns were raised. The goal
is to create a vendor-neutral project with a thriving, inclusive community.
In my view, given the current list of initial committers, there is no lack
of diversity, and including other committers from table format communities
does not address the remaining concern about the project, which stems from
the fact that it actually originated in a company backing one of the table
format projects, i.e., Apache Hudi.
Instead, I'd argue it's more important to focus on establishing XTable as
an independent project governed by ASF's meritocracy principles. That will
naturally serve as an invitation for individuals to contribute, become
committers, PPMC/PMC members, etc. While we are still in the very early
stages of that journey, I believe that focusing on these principles and
building the XTable community around them is ultimately the way to mitigate
the remaining concern.

Thanks,
Jesús

[1] Apache Paimon (incubating):