Personally I think way too many dj's are obsessed with playing all new
tracks.  Especially hard techno dj's.

I remember I walked into this store last year and the mills at the liquid
room cd was playing and I'm like hey who's the jeff mills fan here.  The
raver looking guy behind the counter's like "yeah this is a good mix but
it's old man."  Old?  You could probably play a set of bangin' techno that
came out last week that's not as good as that mix.  Why?  Because it's the
fuckin' bomb that's why.  These kids can try as hard as they want but
they'll never be jeff mills- no matter how raw and fast they get they'll
still just be someone trying to sound like jeff mills.  The same goes with
hawtin, or anyone else that people get obsessed with.  I think derrick may
said something like "they say imitation is the highest for of flattery,
bullshit, its the easiest way to make a buck."

A record could be pressed 5 minutes ago and if it sounds like some tired
old shit than it's no good.  It seems to me like this obsession with brand
new records is a compensation for the lack of innovation in much of the
music.  A record might not sound new or different, but it IS a new record
so it's okay.  But truthfully if it were a good track you'd be getting a
better response from the crowd right?

Some of there folks are very insecure.

_joe

Responding To:    "Jwan Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Original Date:    Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:35:38 -0500