At 03:34 AM 2/19/00 +1030, you wrote:
>> There is, however, a lot more quality underground techno than
>> there is "underground" drum and bass.  A techno DJ who's not a producer
>> could definitaly have a set with tracks that another connoisseur of the
>> genre has yet to hear.  I don't think that's possible with drum and bass
>> unless you have dubplates.  As far as the genre, I'm stressing more on
>> deep/minimal techno and minimal/atmospheric drum and bass. L8r.
>

>I've also noticed the new is best attitude seems to be strong in the
>drum and bass scene. Frankly I think it mellows with time, techno has
>been around longer so quality is more important than newness (depending
>on taste). I'd definately play what I wanted to play if I was you, as
>long as you think its not stagnant (and considering how little 'home' is
>heard out I dont think it would be).
>
>A drum and bass dj on a local scene mailing list was recently saying how
>much more progessive drum and bass is. Every few months it seems to me
>that there is a new style of drum and bass, but most tracks within that
>new style are very similar and a lot are unoriginal (no more than any
>other music style, im not insulting d'n'b here). The tracks in that
>style seem to be perceived as original and new, even if they are totally
>derivative. In techno the originality is not defined by belonging to a
>new style, but for the individual creativity shown in the track. At
>least thats my take on the difference... I'm interested in what other
>people think.

I'm wondering if maybe the dubplate business in the drum and bass scene is
an economic tactic by the big name producers. I.e. They have the newest
tracks so they get the best gigs (They make way more money dj'ing than from
record sales, right?). Limiting the spread of tracks until they get played
out seems to me a good way to limit competition and increase your earning
power. I remember from the breaks list a while back, somebody was
threatened with bodily harm and scene blacklisting for pressing a dubplate
from a dat recording of some guy's radio show. This is of course an
extreme, and probably blown all out of proportion, and I wouldn't say that
those guys are doing this stuff intentionally, and with this outcome in
mind, but I really think it might play a part in the dubplate leanings of
the drum n bass scene. Of course I haven't paid as close attention to it in
the last year and a half, so I may be way off base. Any comments?

--- Tyler Hanel
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--- http://members.home.com/tylero/music.htm
--- San Diego, California