--On Saturday, February 19, 2000, 3:34 AM +1030 "Scott Vallance"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A drum and bass dj on a local scene mailing list was recently saying how
> much more progessive drum and bass is. Every few months it seems to me
> that there is a new style of drum and bass, but most tracks within that
> new style are very similar and a lot are unoriginal (no more than any
> other music style, im not insulting d'n'b here). The tracks in that
> style seem to be perceived as original and new, even if they are totally
> derivative. In techno the originality is not defined by belonging to a
> new style, but for the individual creativity shown in the track. At
> least thats my take on the difference... I'm interested in what other
> people think.

There's was definitely a period of time when drum and bass was in constant
flux and having the newest meant having the best.  I still think there's
innovation, however, but only from a select few, namely, Q-Project, Photek,
Paradox etc.  What they produce is brilliant and very pertinent to techno
culuture.  I think Q-Project is more towards techno/IDM than it is drum and
bass.  Techno/DrumandBass.  Creativity in both techno and drum and bass has
to mutually exclusive from the state of the art; otherwise, it always will
be derivative.  That is, I agree with you.  Originality is rooted in
individual creativity.  Just sometimes it happens to lead to a new style.
Cheers.

Mike