Funny, I remember as a kid hearing about someone getting in trouble for shouting "Errol Flynn" and all and I thought "how come he's in trouble for talking about an actor???" Of course, this was years ago...around the time of the dinosaurs...I got educated quickly!!

From: Lester Kenyatta Spence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) Errol Flynn/schoolcraft/jit
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:15:53 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I heard this wonderful record yesterday by a Rashid-Salam and
> Mad Mike himself called "D' Old Skool Dances" (Zero Degrees, ZDR001).
> It's a very simple 808 drumbeat with a few sampled chord stabs and
> som silly vocal samples that go:

> "Jit jit jit

this is the newest dance....about 5-7 years old maybe?  fancy foot work.
a little like the moves b-boys would do before they spun on their
backs....but without the spin.

>  Smurf ... Smurf"

older.  16 years at least.  this had a couple of variants (the california
and german smurf come to mind).  the original was done by shuffling the
instep of one's feet inward, while raising one's arms.  (you'd have to see
it...)

>  Errol Flynn .... Errol Flynn"

THE oldest.  25 years at least.  originated on the east side of the city.
the myth was--i'm too young to know for sure--that if you did this in some
places you'd get beat down.  done by stiffening your hands as if they were
swords, and "slicing" them in the air.

>  Schoolcraft ... Schoolcraft"

Harder to define...and has a couple of variants too.  you jump in place
kinda, and kick your feet out.  this one is a bit younger than the smurf.

peace
lks