On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, sean deason wrote:

> dude! dont get all sensitive on me now.
> If you lived in the southeastern section of Michigan I wouldnt have to guide
> you
> to the humor in the image I was trying to conjure (think Carlton on "The Fresh
> Prince"). The *funny* part is that Grosse Pointers are not notoriusly known
> for
> thier individual fashion sense and we would try to emulate such blandness.
> sorry
> to you other out of towners for my regional sociolgical references, I
> sometimes
> forget how small the internet makes the world seem :^)
> sean

I'm in Ann Arbor now....and grew up in Detroit during the period you speak
of.  It's hard for me to take off my intellectual hat, because that's what
I do for a living....

Here then, I understand where the humor is supposed to come from.  But at
the same time this is the period I lived in, and I knew that the supposed
"ghetto kids" weren't really ghetto....except for the fact that they were
black and lived in Detroit.  Black Detroiter=ghetto kid.  This equation
doesn't quite hold though....even the distinction that Dan makes in the
book was a bit more fluid.

I went to Bishop Borgess....a private working class school on the West
Side.  (For those of you not from here, this isn't an oxymoron in Metro
Detroit.)  We had a strict dress code....but this dress code still allowed
for a great deal of stylistic freedom.  What was interesting here is that
you had some people who were preppy...but only at school.  At home they
sported patent leather addidas, kangols, and addidas jogging suits.  And
then you had kids who did the exact opposite.

All to say that I get the joke....but recognize that race, class and space
are different.  The black preps mimicked Grosse Pointers like May mimicked
Kraftwerk.

peace
lks