Really good, thoughtful, if at times depressing thread.

From: "jim proffit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] who stole the soul?
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 07:53:44 GMT

mike d wrote:

Back in my high school days I was a punk rocker.....digging all the >raw
and unheard soundz that these bands were showing us.  After >time...the
"mainstream" caught a hold of it...and the end was near.  >No more respect
for Green Day and Rancid.  Nofx was no longer a true >punk band.  Why???
simple.  I got older and jaded with the music b/c I
knew punk music one way: in my youth. i grew up to a certain >sound...and
it changed.  its the common saying "their first album is >their best."

You're suggesting that people actually "grow" INTO a sound, be it Punk,
Detroit techno or whatever. It continues:

...about 6 months ago...i heard the soundz of techno.  it amazed me. it
enlightened me....and it took me away.  but...i cant get into alot of >the
older detroit stuff  why?  b/c its not the style i was introduced >to...

I don't agree with you that one has to be "introduced" to a certain sound or style, and that the first encounters with any new musical style are the best
or strongest you can have. Of course there's a special nostalgia for it,
remembering the "good ol'days", but it has nothing to do with how good music
is. Or what you may or may not like.

I wasn't listening to classic Detroit Techno when it first came in the 80's
(I started in the early 90's), but I like it A LOT. I don't have any special
nostalgia for it, but nevertheless I find the music's depth, energy and
innovation outstanding. I understand the importance of this music, as well
as any other style's importance in the chain of musical culture. I listen to
50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's music and find amazing pieces of work from
all genres, all the time.

I find this philosophy that "every generation has it's idols" disturbing.
People are not computers where you download a certain operation system every
other year (=musical "trends"), and once you've passed your youth you're
stuck with the music you listened to. Of course not. Music is culture, and
culture has the ability to survive thousands of years, there's no sell-by
date in it, it doesn't lose it's energy like a battery.

I think the fact that you might not like most of the D-techno has more to do
with the fact that you like more energetic music. Maybe D-techno hasn't got
the "bang" enough for you or something...?

Proffit