First off, I didn't come up with the idea that techno has something to do
with the future, Juan Atkins and then UR came up with these ideas, which
means they have ALWAYS been part of techno. According to the UR
manifesto "Techno
is a music based in experimentation; it is music for the future of the
human race." -- Underground Resistance did. See
http://www.undergroundresistance.com/

Underground Resistance is a label for a movement. A movement that wants
> change by sonic revolution. We urge you to join the resistance and *help
> us combat the mediocre audio and visual programming that is being fed to
> the inhabitants of Earth, this programming is stagnating the minds of the
> people*; building a wall between races and preventing world peace. It is
> this wall we are going to smash. By using the untapped energy potential of
> sound we are going to destroy this wall much the same as certain
> frequencies shatter glass. *Techno is a music based in experimentation;
> it is music for the future of the human race.* Without this music there
> will be no peace, no love, no vision. By simply communicating through
> sound, techno has brought people of all different nationalities together
> under one roof to enjoy themselves. Isn‘t it obvious that music and dance
> are the keys to the universe? So called primitive animals and tribal humans
> have known this for thousands of years! We urge all brothers and sisters of
> the underground to create and transmit their tones and frequencies no
> matter how so called primitive their equipment may be. Transmit these tones
> and wreak havoc on the programmers!”

Second, raves were often not great--drug overdoses, sexual assault, cops
beating the shit out of people, promoters narking on each other shutting
down each others' parties, promoters throwing parties mostly to sell drugs.
I'm not discounting the positive aspects to say that the rave scene had a
terrible dark side, which is part of why they were able to shut it down as
the US morphed into a full police state following 9/11. (Btw, keep in mind
that Joe Biden was a big supporter of using crackhouse laws to shut down
raves.)

Third, I understand dance music and having fun. I just DJed for six hours
at a work xmas party. I know how to make people dance.

But this is NOT a "RAVE DANCE MUSIC" list, it's a DETROIT TECHNO list, and
one of the things that sets Detroit techno apart is that it includes
ambient music and other sounds that are not meant for dancing, a typical
example is Robert Hood "The Exodus". Somehow the idea of "Detroit techno"
as something different and special seems to be lost. Maybe you don't like
my idea of Detroit Techno--I challenge you to come up with your own vision!

Nobody is preventing anyone from enjoying nostalgic house, but I'd like to
talk about MUSIC BASED IN EXPERIMENTATION, music that could help us create
a better FUTURE OF THE HUMAN RACE.

The human race might go extinct. If techno could help create the hope and
vision to work for a better world, than that would be better than dancing
until the world ends. Does everyone just believe shit is so hopeless that
there is no choice but to get as fucked up as possibility and blast that
rave music as the planet slowly poisons itself and commits suicide.

Why has everyone given up on the possibility that art--including "Detroit
techno"--could help inspire us to create a better world? Were the
innovators who created techno WRONG?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvKUWb5H5BI

~David