Lester Kenyatta Spence wrote:

> As for "the music" I think that darw_n is correct.  Techno and House are
> very different from hip-hop for example, in that I really don't think it
> is possible for these artforms to be co-opted.

Otto said:

Don't count on it. For the US, that may be (still) true. In Europe,
especially house is completely co-opted. Absorbed, gentrified, dumbed
down, regurgitated and spit back out by the mass media for easy
consumption by the general public. In other words: 'bagged'.

*BUT*, in the process of the bagging of house, occasionally the real
thing makes it to the frontline. Wamdue Kids, Paul Johnson, Harry 'Choo
Choo' Romero and several other Subliminal artists, Masters At Work, St.
Germain, the list goes on. And the good thing about it is, this is
happening increasingly more often as the real thing shines through the
dirge of the rest.

Silent voices *will* be heard.

This is exactly what I was trying to get at, thank you Otto. I'm working on a project right now that draws some parallels between the UK and the US, or rather makes some comparisons between the two. What I'm trying to discern is wether this commercialization is mostly "good" or mostly "bad." That's a gross simplification, but it basically sums it up what I'm working on.