Well, I think Stewart's animus against laptops is that most laptop performances
involves people staring at computer screens -- i.e. zero charisma, and in
some cases, people doing absolutely nothing truly live. I've seen my share
of people doing 'live' sets with the equivalent of Winamp.

Stewart's sets are to some extent pre-sequenced, in that his MPC is full
of patterns, but he is constantly reacting to the audience and context in
how the set flows.

To some extent he could transfer everything he does, including his method
of constructing his sets, to Ableton Live.  Fred Giannelli has done basically
that, and he and Stewart are friends. But people work the way they want to
work -- farbeit from me to criticize his results.

I still don't know how to make a live electronic set truly dynamic. My
solution is to improvise it all live with live loop sampling.  People can
see me play guitar, sing, play percussion, rip paper, talk, and it all goes
through the computer and I mess with it.  Really I'd like to get more
people involved, playing instruments and such, but it's hard finding people
who can improvise and play off of others well.