Great post.  I may have been misinformed, I was thinking about it more in terms
of the classifying of music by the record labels than the meaning of the music
for the people who made it.  Now I'm trying to remember which label it was that
the record industry used, maybe it was R&B?

And actually, I have to admit that the concept of "soul" you are speaking about
does not require any kind of metaphysics and could be a very useful Idea.  I
come from a very conservative white Christian background where "soul" is used
as an extremely repressive idea and justifies oppresion rather than encouraging
people to seek for a better life here on earth.  So what is really interesting
is that African-Americans took a notion from their oppresors and transformed
it, took it down a life of flight so that it became a liberating concept.

And if you think about it in terms of music, this is really interesting because
African-Americans have always borrowed from the white European tradition, but
at the same time have often been successful at liberating these elements from
their hierarchical origins and set them in motion, into a continuous variation
where the elements that are ripped from their foundation in an oppresive
hierarchical Culture now enter into free play and communicate with all the
other elements of music.  A continuous line of variation rather than a strict
code of meaning.  (On the other hand there is always a Winton Marsalis at the
end of the line trying to block the development, saying "our music is a
CLASSICAL music", hip hop, techno and free jazz, well THAT doesn't swing,
that's not real music, that's not our identity, we need to find our place as an
extension of Western Culture.)

313 people, you might think I'm off topic but really I'm talking about things
like jazz chords, instrumental virtuosity, 808, 909, 303, DIY use of
technology, sampler; all the elements of Detroit techno can be understood very
well in this context.

dave