What I am talking about is a tactic of cultural survival in  the face of
slavery, oppresion and genocide.  This is not simply about an exchange fo
cultural ideas, although exchanges do happen

The problem faced by Africans of the diaspora was: what do we do when the
master takes away our drums, our language, our religion, by force?  The answer,
as far as I see, is that they took what they had, even if it was part of the
masters' culture, and transformed it in order to re-assert themselves
collectively.

We can't play our drums?  Then we will take your instruments, and your songs,
and we will transform them, add our own inflections, we will drum even more
effectively through your music until it is not any more yours but ours again.

We can't speak our own langauge?  Then we will transform your language until it
becomes our own, allowing us to expresse ourselves collectively even in a
medium that is not our own, since what is our own has been stolen from us.

We can't practice our religion?  Then we will follow yours, but in such a way
that everything that matters is still there, your saints will be taken on a
journey to Africa, they will now function as our own gods once did, we will go
to catholic church and at the same time we will preserve the traditions which
we have always followed.

It is not only a question of black and white, it is something faced by all
kinds of oppresed people.  BORROWING DOES NOT IMPLY LACK OF INGENUITY OR
DEFICIENCY!!!  Rather it implies a joyful pragmaticism that allows one to
create no matter what circumstances one is faced with.  It does not matter what
material elements you begin with, it only matters whate creative use you make
of what you have.  Use the enemy's resources against them.

So if you have 303 808 and 909, use that.  If you have a laptop, use that.  If
you have a washboard and a harmonica, use that.  Use your poverty as a
strength, transform your disadvantages into advantages.  Empower yourself.

The techno philosophy of DIY as pioneered by the Detroit crew can be seen in
this light as an extension of the creative strategy developed time and again by
the Africans of the diaspora.

dave