>"Borrowed ? say What ? Kind of comment can just come from a perfect
imbecile
who is a waste of human flesh, and his only use on this earth is to take up
space, God knows why, thank you very much for your brilliant comments,"

Whoa, Sylvia, chill the f*ck out for a second. I questioned David too but
he did have some stuff to back up what he was saying (Dave I hope you don't
mind me posting this and I apologize for including sections of a private
post but I think in this case it's necessary):

>>1.  Adaption of western instruments, use of these instruments in
non-traditional ways.

Although it's not cut and dry - there are some instruments that African's
picked up after being taken to the Americas (largely brass marching band
instruments and piano).

>>2.  Obvious examples, the black church's use of white gospel music; Duke
Ellington influenced by Ravel and Debussy; Art Tatum's reworking of the
Western classical virtuosic pianistic tradition; Charlie Parker playing
along with Stravinsky records; the uses jazz musicians have made of a
classical text called Slominsky's Thesaurus of Scales...

This is true. *Some* African-American jazz artists were and are influenced
by European classical forms.

>>3.  All jazz harmony is a mutant, revised version of Western classical
harmony.

Well, this isn't actually true - "blue" notes/harmonies are African in
origin and never existed in Western scales

>>/dave

I don't think he is saying that African-American's have borrowed
*everything* from European traditions. I think what he is trying to say is
that there was a bit of back and forth between both cultures. However, you
are right, Anglo culture has taken much more without giving credit (and
also watering it down to the point of *blah*) and also trying to keep black
artists underfunded, underrepresented, and corralled into a stereotype (ie.
gangsta rap).

Here's some other info that does defend what Dave was saying:

 Many Jazz writers have pointed out that the non-Jazz elements from which
 Jazz  was  formed,  the  Blues,  Ragtime,  Brass  Band  Music, Hymns and
 Spirituals,  Minstrel music and work songs were ubiquitous in the United
 States  and known in dozens of cities. Why then, they reason, should New
 Orleans be singled out as the sole birthplace of Jazz? These writers are
 overlooking  one  important  factor  that  existed  only in New Orleans,
 namely,          the          black          Creole          subculture.

 The  Creoles  were  free, French and Spanish speaking Blacks, originally
 from  the West Indies, who lived first under Spanish then French rule in
 the  Louisiana  Territory.  They  became  Americans  as  a result of the
 Louisiana  Purchase of 1803 and Louisiana statehood in 1812. The Creoles
 rose  to  the  highest  levels  of  New  Orleans society during the 19th
 century.  They  lived  in  the  French section of the city east of Canal
 Street  and  became  prominent  in the economic and cultural life of the
 section.

 The  Creole  musicians, many of whom were Conservatory trained in Paris,
 played  at  the  Opera House and in chamber ensembles. Some led the best
 society  bands  in  New  Orleans. They prided themselves on their formal
 knowledge  of  European  music, precise technique and soft delicate tone
 and  had  all  of  the  social and cultural values that characterize the
 upper  class.  In sharp contrast were the people of the American part of
 New  Orleans,  who  lived  west  of  Canal Street. They were newly freed
 blacks  who  were  poor, uneducated, and totally lacking in cultural and
 economic  advantages. The musicians of the American section, also called
 the  Back o' town section, were schooled in the blues, Gospel music, and
 work  songs  that  they  sang  or played mostly by ear. Memorization and
 improvisation  characterized  the  west  side  bands;  sight reading and
 correct performance were characteristic of Creole bands.

 Then in 1894 an odious racial segregation law was enacted in New Orleans
 which  forced  the  refined  Creoles  to live on the other side of Canal
 Street.  Though  this  was  a cultural catastrophe for the Creoles, they
 soon  gained  musical  leadership  of  the American section . It was the
 musical  sparks  that  flew  on  the  clashing  of  these very different
 cultures  in  the  ensuing decade that ignited the flames of Jazz. These
 happenings are discussed in the numerous recordings of Jelly Roll Morton
 made  in  1938  at the Library of Congress in which he is interviewed by
 folk music expert Alan Lomax. They are the best documents we have of the
 process  that  transformed the many non-Jazz musical elements into Jazz.
 Jelly  Roll,  a Creole named Ferdinand LaMenthe at birth, was one of the
 big movers in the early development of Jazz. He explains in great detail
 how a Jazz piece like Tiger Rag evolved out of European dance forms like
 the  French  quadrille,  the  waltz,  the mazurka and the polka. He also
 cites  the  importance  of  Spanish  rhythms in early Jazz, an effect he
 calls                 the                "Spanish                Tinge".

 Jelly  Roll Morton claimed to be the inventor of Jazz in 1902, an absurd
 claim  to  be  sure.  What  is  even  more absurd is that there is ample
 evidence  to  support  his  claim  !  There  is no doubt that Morton had
 isolated a music not covered by the blues or ragtime and that he applied
 a  swinging syncopation to a variety of music, including ragtime, opera,
 and French and Spanish songs and dances. He also may have introduced the
 2-bar  break  (the  precursor to extended solos), scat singing and other
 improvisational  ideas. Basically, the conversion of ragtime to Jazz was
 quite  simple,  involving application of a strong underlying 4/4 beat to
 2/4  ragtime.  But all great ideas are simple once understood. With this
 device,  any  music  from opera to the blues could be "played hot" as it
 was            described            in            those            days.

 The   popularly   accepted  theory  that  Jazz  stemmed  from  a  simple
 combination  of  African  rhythms  and  European harmony is in need of a
 little  revision.  Both  African  and  European  rhythms  were employed.
 African  music  supplied  the  strong  underlying  beat  (absent in most
 European  music),  the  use  of polyrhythms, and the idea of playing the
 melody  separate  from or above the beat. European music provided formal
 dance  rhythms.  Combined,  these  rhythms give Jazz its' characteristic
 swing.  Likewise, the harmonies and musical ideas of both continents are
 present,  the  blue  notes  derived from the pentatonic scale, "call and
 response"  and  unconventional  instrumental  timbres  of  African music
 together  with  "conventional" harmonies and, most important, the formal
 structure  of  European  music. The multiplicity of ethnic, cultural and
 musical  conditions  needed  to spawn Jazz was thus unique to the United
 States,  and  specifically  to  New Orleans. The necessary philosophical
 impetus  for Jazz, i.e. , democracy and freedom of individual expression
 supported by group interaction, are also American institutions.

 http://www.redhotjazz.com/originsarticle.html

Here's another article that touches on the mix of European and
African-American
http://www.nps.gov/neor/Jazz%20History_origins_pre1895.htm

So, please cool it with the personal insults - it's really
counter-productive and stupid.

take care
MEK