[KiDDy*RaVeR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> I dont use Ableton, but i have experienced this "MP3 silence gap"
> problem, since i work on Macromedia Flash.  You can dynamically import
> external MP3 into your Flash movie. But forget it, if you wanna make a
> loop with it...  While, its possible to import a WAV when you work on
> your source. And then Flash use its own internal MP3 encoder to export
> your movie as a SWF file.  And i dunno which codec is used, but the
> loop is now in MP3 and is exactly the same length! No gaps! It loops
> perfectly.  No idea how they did it...But for me it only means one
> thing..ITS POSSIBLE!!  Id like it to be the defacto standard!!  (And,
> yes its really encoded in MP3).

The Ogg Vorbis standard was specifically designed to have gapless play
but this was an oversight when MP3 was designed.  This has been a big
problem for players as well (iPod, iRiver, etc), since you get gaps when
you listen to chopped up MP3s of DJ mixes or MP3 rips of albums that
were designed to play without a 2 second pre-gap.   Some software MP3
players (e.g. Winamp) have devised schemes to work around it, but
they're really nothing more than hacks that look for the beginning and
end of actual audio data ahead of time.

Having said that, it shouldn't be a problem for Ableton to get around
that since they already pre-analyze a file and generate an ASD analysis
file for it, which could easily contain the pertinent information for
proper looping.

I personally use Live in a DJ-like fashion, but I only play my own
songs, so I already have them as WAVs.  It's not like I'd be able to
play whole songs as MP3s on the fly anyway, though, since Ableton's
warping engine seems to choke on files that big and you have to resort
to manually setting your own warp markers.

Most composition software out there lets you load MP3s as samples,
though, which is good since so many people pass their samples around the
net that way.  I really don't think it would be hard for Ableton to
follow suit, but it seems that maybe they're just not interested.  I
know it was a feature they said they were definitely going to have back
in the day, but it seems it's been pushed to the back of the priority
list, which would indicate to me that it's more fraught with problems
than we seem to think, because it's not like they haven't been doing a
lot of updates to the software.

--
:: atomly ::

[ [EMAIL PROTECTED] : www.atomly.com ...
[ atomiq records : po box 805319 chicago il 60680 : 312.804.5389 ...
[ e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] for atomly info and updates ...