> Does it matter that we're so cut off from the mainstream?

>> I personally wouldn't have it any other way, but then again my
>income doe=
>> sn't rely on it.

All this is reminding me of some theories which I came across in the distant
past ...

"Social identity theories – Tajfel and Turner, among others, have taken
great interest in what happens to an individualÂ’s self-perception when
becoming a member of a group. The theory of social identity was developed by
Tajfel (1981) and Tajfel and Turner (1979), and accoutns for ETHNOCENTRISM
in the MINIMAL GROUP paradigm. On assignation to a group, people appear
automatically to think of that group as better for them than any alternative
outgroup. This is because they are motivated to keep a positive self-image.
This self-image has two component parts: personal identity and social
identity (the number of social identities one person may have has no
theoretical limit). Any action or cognition which elevates the social
identity will therefore tend to elevate also the self-image"

Plus here's a link for elaboration, esp. on ethnocentrism/minimal group
paradigm (a term which I especially like - but not for the correct
theoretical reasons! :-)

http://www.psybox.com/web_dictionary/Socialidentity.htm

Bollocks isn't it?

Ah well, at least you're ten minutes closer to home time!