That's odd, that was one of the tracks I was going to suggest
as being a piece of "dead centre" Detroit techno. But having
already mentioned "Kaotic Harmony" and "Icon" I figured that
there was a bit too much Derrick May content in my email
already :)

When I first heard "It Is What It Is" I was already familiar
with the concept of Detroit techno, and with much of the
actual music as well. But the music had never matched so
perfectly with the concept - if that makes sense - as when
I first heard that track. Also, when it was on the Channel 4
documentary, playing over shots of May wandering around a
deserted industrial estate and that circuit-board-as-city
video, I just thought "yep, this pretty much sums it up..."

It combines the melodic sensibilities of Detroit techno with
its dancefloor aspects so effectively - hard to think of any
other tracks that do that so well.

Brendan