> In my simple universe I have a simple theory : there are 2 kinds of
> music. Techno ( and all related genres ) is music with no message, you
> can't understand it, it beholds no meaning than the sound itself. You
> have to listen to it with your belly, your abdomen. It's music that you
> have to completely endure, let it flow through your body. It envokes a
> trance, like the shaman repeating mantra's over and over. You have to
> feel it, feel the bass through your flesh. It's overwhelming, even
> threatening to those not willing to assimilate. The music exists in
> itself, as an assembly of tones, rhythm. Tribal music ( remember Burundi
> Black ? ) was the first techno imho. It aims for the legs. The music is
> the essence. The music IS the message.
    I think that we are listening to different forms of Techno-a lot of
people categorise Techno as the more tribal, banging stuff but Kenny Larkin
"War of the Worlds" and most stuff by B12, Orlando Voorn and many, many
others don't fit into this area- they provoke an entirely different response
in me than "endure" when listening

>That's why I don't consider Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene or Vangelis'
>music as precursors of techno, although the music sounds techno, it has
>not that raw power that techno has, it does not invoke trance
    The only thing these recordings invoke in me a a felling of deep
stupor.....

Jason Brunton