The dictionary definition is "a period in the development of an economy or
nation in which the relative importance of manufacturing lessens and that of
services, information, and research grows" - most Western nations are now in
a post-industrial state and have been since the late 1970s. Although there
have been new genres of music since then besides techno, techno's origins in
Detroit - a city which became post-industrial a while before many others,
what with the collapse in auto manufacturing there and the subsequent decay
of the city - kind of mark it as a genre of music which ties very closely
with post-industrialism.

Of course, it's easy to say things like that about techno as it is an
ambiguous and amorphous genre of music - and it's just as easy to disprove
statements like this for exactly the same reason. My perception of techno is
that it's a post-industrial genre - and, hey, if we think of 'industrial' as
the musical genre rather than the phase of economic development, that makes
sense too!

Brendan