In my simple universe I have a simple theory : there are 2 kinds of
music. Techno ( and all related genres ) is music with no message, you
can't understand it, it beholds no meaning than the sound itself. You
have to listen to it with your belly, your abdomen. It's music that you
have to completely endure, let it flow through your body. It envokes a
trance, like the shaman repeating mantra's over and over. You have to
feel it, feel the bass through your flesh. It's overwhelming, even
threatening to those not willing to assimilate. The music exists in
itself, as an assembly of tones, rhythm. Tribal music ( remember Burundi
Black ? ) was the first techno imho. It aims for the legs. The music is
the essence. The music IS the message.

On the other side, there's music with a message. The music in this sense
only exists as carrier for the message of the composer. Whether it be to
evoke the 4 seasons or to spread a fluffy message about a candle in the
wind, it's music you have to listen to, reason about, understand. The
author wants to tell something. Hiphop belongs in here, pretty obvious.
The music is ( only ) a medium.

In my simple universe there is also Jazz, on the boundary of these 2
types of music : jazz tries to catch the raw power of the first type (
call it techno :) ) in rules and regulations and standards as they exist
in the second type of music. I'm not quiet happy with this thought, I
must give it some more thinking. So for now I'll conclude : in Jazz
music is a medium and a message.

That's why I don't consider Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene or Vangelis'
music as precursors of techno, although the music sounds techno, it has
not that raw power that techno has, it does not invoke trance, the music
in these cases is more a carrier for an image the author had in mind.
Kraftwerk goes more the other way, autobahn or die klang der stern has
more of that power in it.

It's pretty obvious in this context that nor inspiration or knowledge
are involved ( in the strict sense, of course you have to know which
knobs to turn ), it's about tuning in into that energy that is out
there, the rhythms of life... And maybe too much knowledge, trying to
understand it and defining it in rules and prejudices is an obstacle.

My 2 cents...

:-G
http://www.appletree.be