I frequently find JM's comments oblique & challenging: mind-tweaking, in
fact. One thing about Mills: the music is never just an end in itself, but
always a vehicle for "another voice" (to quote Derrida), a "step to
enchantment" which holds opens endless further possibilities. Lawrence
Kramer picks up on this ceaseless calling in a 1995 book called 'Classical
Music & Postmodern Knowledge' (also check out his new one, 'Musical
Meaning'):

"For me music has gradually become the labyrinth of another voice,
threading those chambers of the ear that wind and unwind into every
distance, that turn inside out to become the whorled spaces of the world,
of other voices, another voice."

That the voice remains untranslatable, that Mills constantly tries out
"names for the unnameable" for this "trace of the Other," gives his own
words--like his musical designs--their strange, haunting qualities.
Collectively, they burn on as the cinders of an obsessive search for the
future origins of what Derrida calls an "irreducible nonpresence,"
incessantly calling from "another now." Mills constructs the sonic
structures (or machines/constructures) for listening into this still
redeemable time to come.

Wes